Single Incision Gastric Sleeve
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy also known as Gastric Sleeve is the form of gastric sleeve surgery which is less invasive when preformed with a single incision only. Although the duration of the surgery is a bit longer as compared to other bariatric surgeries, the healing process is shorter than the usual gastric sleeve. Each human body is different and the outcome of Single Incision Gastric Sleeve may vary for each individual however best results are always observed.
Scar-Free Weight Loss Surgery
Known as the Single Incision Gastric Sleeve in medical terms, the Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS) is performed by making only one laparoscopic incision through the belly button, contrasting the usual gastric sleeve surgery that requires 4 to 6 small incisions in the abdomen area. The major difference between the traditional gastric sleeve surgery and single incision gastric sleeve is that SILS provides the patient with the additional advantages of minor to no scars on the skin along with minimum postoperative discomfort mainly because of a single incision, which also means that the healing process will be fast. In addition to that, the possibility of any medical complication is also highly unlikely because the single incision gastric sleeve is minimally invasive as compared to the usual gastric sleeve surgery and much simpler than other weight loss surgical treatments such as gastric bypass.
Single Incision Gastric Sleeve offers a reduced recovery period with minimal to no scar on the skin.
The Single Incision Laparoscopic Sleeve (SILS) surgery is a nominally invasive form of the gastric sleeve surgery which can be performed through a single small incision. Even though the procedure may a take a little longer as compared to traditional gastric sleeve surgery, the recovery duration is similar. However, the after-effects of the surgery can never be assured. Considering every patient is unique, the outcome of the SILS may vary for each patient.
THE BEST BARIATRIC SURGERY OPTION
Our well experienced and highly skilled bariatric surgeons carry out the Single Incision Sleeve (SILS) surgery by creating access to the abdominal cavity through a small incision by the belly button. When the stomach is accessed, it is gently cut to reduce its size by 80 percent and the unwanted part of the stomach is removed. The possibilities of any kind of medical complexities such as dumping syndrome or vitamin deficiencies are highly unlikely to occur because apart from stomach removal, rest of the digestive tract remains intact.
In a few situations, a possibility of a second small incision may arise to put in a drain. If a second incision is made, the scar is almost invisible in most of the cases. Many patients have reportedly resembled it to a tiny scratch.
ADVANTAGES OF THE SINGLE INCISION GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY
A large number of patients who require bariatric surgical treatment prefer to undergo the less invasive laparoscopic surgery, whenever possible, to experience the benefits of the process. Single Incision Laparoscopic Sleeve (SILS) surgery provides with a number of benefits as compared to other surgical weight loss treatments.
- SILS is a less invasive procedure that uses a single incision instead of several incisions which simplifies the surgical process to a substantial level. Our bariatric surgeons cautiously work around the tissues to make sure that no harm is made to the muscles over the course of surgery. The Single Incision Laparoscopic Sleeve (SILS) is consequently gentle on the body and it is proven to cause less pain and discomfort after the surgery.
- The results are incredibly pleasing considering that the process simply needs a single small-sized incision while patients are left with a practically invisible scar on the skin. Our surgeons tend to make the incision either within or around the belly button to make sure that the scar is almost invisible.
- The possibility of complications is substantially low in SILS as a single small size incision assures a slim chance of infection and any other related side effects. Moreover, considering that SILS usually does not inhibits any digestive capability of the patient, therefore, the possibility of nutritional deficiency is minimum to none.
- SILS also assures much lesser recovery time as compared to traditional gastric sleeve surgery.
Occasionally, there can be a minor probability that a second and extremely tiny incision needs to be made in order to put in a drain. Even if that happens, the scar after most of the surgeries is barely visible enough to get noticed. Some of our patients have compared it to a tiny scratch on the skin.
THE BENEFITS OF THE SINGLE INCISION GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY
- Quick healing process
- A single incision through the belly button and the scar is practically invisible after the surgery.
- Minimum postoperative pain and discomfort.
- Minimally invasive due to the use of the most advanced laparoscopic technique.
Although the Single Incision Laparoscopic Sleeve (SILS) is preferred by the most of the patients, it is not appropriate for all patients. The factors that play an important part in determining your eligibility for the SILS may include your body mass index (BMI) and any previous bariatric surgery. SILS is mainly recommended for patients with a BMI of 30 – 39, and also for those individuals who have a BMI between 32 – 33 and have experienced obesity-induced critical health conditions.
Dr. Sergio Verboonen and his team at the Obesity Goodbye Center will guide you to make a confident and informed decision so that you may get the best treatment to accomplish your weight loss objectives.
WHO MAY QUALIFY FOR THE SINGLE INCISION GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY IN TIJUANA?
Eligibility Criteria for the Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
In order to be eligible for the Single Incision Gastric Sleeve you need to fulfill the following conditions:
- Your BMI should be less than 40
- You should not have undergone more than 2 abdominal surgeries.